How To Use Maps On iPad Mini
Maps, directions, 3D, Flyover, and location-based apps depend on data services on iPad. These data services are subject to change and may not be available in all areas, resulting in maps, directions, 3D, Flyover, or location-based information that may be unavailable, inaccurate, or incomplete. Compare the information provided on iPad to your surroundings, and defer to posted signs to resolve any discrepancies. Some Maps features require Location Services.
- Find a location: Tap the search field, and then type an address or other information, such as:
- Intersection (8th and market)
- Area (greenwich village)
- Landmark (guggenheim)
- Zip code
- Business (movies, restaurants san francisco ca, apple inc new york)
- Or, tap one of the suggestions in the list below the search field.
- Navigate maps:
- Move up or down, left or right: Drag the screen.
- Rotate the map: Rotate two fingers on the screen. A compass appears in the upper-right corner to show the maps orientation.
- Return to the north-facing orientation: Tap compass icon.
- Find the location of a contact, or of a bookmarked or recent search: Tap bookmark book icon.
- Get and share info about a location: Tap the pin to display the info banner, then tap i help icon. When available, you can get reviews and photos from Yelp. You can also get directions, contact the business, visit the home page, add the business to your contacts, share the location, or bookmark the location.
- Read reviews: Tap Reviews. To use other Yelp features, tap the buttons beneath the reviews.
- See photos: Tap Photos.
- Email, text, tweet, or post a location to Facebook: Tap Share Location. To tweet or post to Facebook, you must be signed in to your accounts. See How to share on Facebook. and How to share on Twitter.
- Use the drop pin to mark a location: Touch and hold the map until the drop pin appears.
- Choose standard, hybrid, or satellite view: Tap the lower-right corner.
- Report a problem: Tap the lower-right corner.
Getting directions on iPad
- Get driving directions: Tap right arrow direction icon, tap car driving icon, enter the starting and ending locations, then tap Route. Or, choose a location or a route from the list, when available. If multiple routes appear, tap the one you want to take.
- Hear turn-by-turn directions (iPad Wi-Fi + cellular): Tap Start. Maps follows your progress and speaks turn-by-turn directions to your destination. To show or hide the controls, tap the screen. If iPad auto-locks, Maps stays onscreen and continues to announce instructions. You can also open another app and continue to get turn-by-turn directions. To return to Maps, tap the banner across the top of the screen.
- View turn-by-turn directions (iPad Wi-Fi only): Tap Start, then swipe left to see the next instruction.
- Return to the route overview: Tap Overview.
- View the directions as a list: Tap list icon on the Overview screen.
- Stop turn-by-turn directions: Tap End.
- Get quick driving directions from your current location: Tap Car icon on the banner of your destination, then tap Directions To Here.
- Get walking directions: Tap right arrow direction icon, tap Walking icon, enter the starting and ending locations, then tap Start. Or, choose a location or a route from the list, when available. Tap Start, then swipe left to see the next instruction.
- Get public transit directions: Tap right arrow directions icon, enter the starting and ending locations, tap Bus icon, then tap Start. Or, choose a location or a route from the list, when available. Download and open the routing apps for the transit services you want to use.
- Show traffic conditions: Tap the bottom-right corner of the screen, and then tap Show Traffic. Orange dots show slowdowns, and red dots show stop and-go-traffic. To see an incident report, tap a marker.
3D and Flyover on iPad
On iPad 3rd generation or later, use 3D (standard view) or Flyover (satellite or hybrid views) for three-dimensional views of many cities around the world. You can navigate in the usual ways, and zoom in to see buildings. You can also adjust the camera angle.
- Use 3D or Flyover: Zoom in until 3D or building icon becomes active, and then tap the button. Or, drag two fingers up. You can switch between 3D and Flyover by tapping the lower-right corner and changing views.
- Adjust the camera angle: Drag two fingers up or down.
Maps settings on iPad
- Set options for Maps: Go to Settings > Maps. Settings include:
- Navigation voice volume (iPad Wi-Fi + cellular)
- Miles or kilometers for distance
- Language and size of labels
Note: This article will work on all iPads using iOS 6; including iPad Mini, iPad 2, The New iPad (iPad 3), iPad 4 (iPad with Retina display).