How To Use Music On iPad Mini
Learn how to use Music apps on your iPad Mini.
Get music and other audio content onto iPad:
- Purchase and download from the iTunes Store: In Music, tap Store.
- Automatically download music purchased on your other iOS devices and computers: See Using iCloud
- Sync content with iTunes on your computer: See How to sync with iTunes.
- Use iTunes Match to store your music library in iCloud
How to play music on iPad
You can listen to audio from the built-in speaker, headphones attached to the headphone jack, or wireless Bluetooth stereo headphones paired with iPad. When headphones are attached or paired, no sound comes from the speaker.
- Play a track: Browse by playlist, song, artist, or other category, then tap the track. Playback controls appear at the top of the screen.
- See additional browse buttons: Tap More.
- Skip to any point in a song: Drag the playhead along the scrubber bar. Slide your finger down to slow down the scrub rate.
- View the Now Playing screen: Tap the thumbnail of the album cover at the top of the screen.
- Display controls: Tap the screen.
- Browse songs using the cover art: Swipe left or right. Songs start playing automatically.
- See all the tracks on the album that contains the current song: Tap Tracks icon. Tap a track to play it. To return to the Now Playing screen, tap Tracks icon again.
- Assign ratings to songs: In track list view, tap the row of dots above the list to set the number of stars. You can use ratings when creating smart playlists in iTunes.
- Search music (titles, artists, albums, and composers): While browsing, enter text in the search field at the bottom-right corner of the screen. You can also search audio content from the Home screen. See How to search.
- Display audio controls while in another app: Double-click the Home button, then swipe to the right along the bottom of the screen.
- Display audio controls while the screen is locked: Double-click the Home button.
- Play music on AirPlay speakers or Apple TV: Tap Stream icon. See How to use AirPlay.
Podcasts and audiobooks
Podcast and audiobook controls appear on the Now Playing screen when you begin playback.
Note: The Podcasts app is available for free in the App Store. If you install the Podcasts app, podcast content and controls are removed from Music.
- Set podcast playback speed: Tap 1x icon. Tap again to change the speed.
- 2x = Play at double speed.
- 1/2x = Play at half speed.
- 1x = Play at normal speed.
- Repeat last 15 seconds of podcast: Tap Repeat 15 icon.
- Get more podcast episodes: Tap Podcasts (tap More first, if Podcasts isnt visible), then tap a podcast to see available episodes.
Note: This article will work on all iPads using iOS 6; including iPad Mini, iPad 2, The New iPad (iPad 3), iPad 4 (iPad with Retina display).