How To Use S Health - Samsung Gear Fit
Learn how to use S Health on your Samsung Gear Fit. Use the pedometer, sleep, exercise, and heart rate applications for leisure, well-being and fitness purposes.
When the Gear Fit is synced with a compatible S Health application, you can use additional features. The additional features include, checking your physical condition, exercise records, and more.
Note: Pedometer, Sleep, Exercise, and Heart Rate are intended for leisure, well-being and fitness purposes only and are not intended for medical use. Before using these applications, read the instructions carefully.
Consult a medical professional if you experience any health problems or need medical assistance.
Before You Start Exercising
This app can be used to monitor your exercise. While moderate physical activity, such as brisk walking, is safe for most people, health experts suggest that you talk with your doctor before you start an exercise program. Consulting with your doctor ahead of time is a good way to plan an exercise program that is right and safe for you.
Wearing the Gear Fit Device
When measuring your heart rate, wear the Gear Fit comfortably on your arm above your wrist as shown.
Note Remove the protective plastic from the heart rate measurement sensor before taking measurements.
- Remove the protective plastic from the heart rate measurement sensor before taking measurements.
- The heart rate figures may not be accurate depending on measurement conditions and surroundings.
- Take heart rate measurements when you are seated and relaxed.
- If heart rate measurements are taken at low temperatures, the result may be inaccurate.
- Do not move your body while taking heart rate measurements. Doing so may cause your heart rate to be recorded inaccurately.
- Users with thin wrists may receive inaccurate heart rate measurements.
- Inaccurate measurements occur when the device is loose and the light used to provide the measurement is reflected unevenly.
If the measurement is very different from the expected heart rate, rest for 30 minutes and then measure it again.
- Measurements are calculated using average values and should be repeated at least five times.
- During winter or in cold weather, keep yourself warm when measuring your heart rate.
- Smoking or consuming alcohol before taking measurements may cause your heart rate to be different from your normal heart rate.
- Do not talk, yawn, or breathe deeply while taking heart rate measurements.
- Doing so may cause your heart rate to be recorded inaccurately.
- If your heart rate is extremely high or low, measurements may be inaccurate.
- Heart rate measurements taken for infants and toddlers may be inaccurate.
- Do not look directly at the heart rate sensors lights. Doing so may impair your vision.
- If heart rate measurement is not working properly, adjust the position of the Gear Fit on your wrist. For example, move the Gear Fit right, left, up, or down on your wrist to adjust the position of the heart measurement sensor. Or, wear the Gear Fit with the heart rate sensor firmly against the inside of your wrist.
- If the heart rate sensor is dirty, wipe the sensor and try again.
Use this application to monitor your sleep patterns and record how much sleep you get by detecting body movements while you sleep. You can transfer the records to the connected mobile device.
Before using this application
This app can be used to monitor your exercise. While moderate physical activity, such as brisk walking, is safe for most people, health experts suggest that you talk with your doctor before you start an exercise program, particularly if you have any of the following conditions:
- If you have just purchased or have reset the Gear Fit, read the on-screen information about the application.
- The Sleep feature records how much sleep you get by detecting and recording the duration of body movements. Also, it records each instance when the Gear Fit detects that there has been no body movement for one minute. To record body movement durations, a sleeping period must be set. The sleeping period can be set and measured in automatic or manual mode.
- In manual mode, the user should record the time by pressing a button at bedtime and when the user wakes up. In automatic mode, the Gear Fit automatically detects the users sleep pattern and records the time.
- The Sleep feature can record sleep cycles twice or more in one 24 hour period. In manual mode, all sleep time that is detected within the designated period is recorded as the total period of sleep. In automatic mode, the longest duration detected within the 24 hour period is recorded as the total period of sleep. Short durations of sleep that last less than 2 hours are not detected and if the user wakes up for less than 30 minutes during the period it is recorded as constant sleep.
Recording sleep duration in manual mode
- Scroll left or right on the Home screen and tap Sleep.
- Tap Start. The sleep duration displays on the screen when sleep recording starts.
- Tap Stop > OK icon to stop recording.
Recording sleep duration in auto mode
- Scroll left or right on the Home screen, and then tap Sleep.
- Scroll left on the Sleep screen.
- Tap Manual mode > Auto.
- Tap OK icon. Recording starts automatically.
Note: You can check the automatically recorded sleep durations at 12:00 PM the next day.
Using additional features
- Scroll left on the Sleep screen to use additional features.
- On the step count screen, start the pedometer to count your steps and view the distance walked and burned calories.
- Scroll left or right on the Home screen and tap Pedometer.
- Tap Start to start counting. You can view information, such as step count and calories, on the screen.
- Tap Pause to stop counting.
Using additional features
Scroll left on the pedometer screen to use additional features:
Note: You may experience a brief delay while the pedometer monitors your steps and then displays your step count. Only records from the past thirty days are saved. You can view previous data on the mobile device where the S Health application is installed.
Use this application to set diet and calorie goals and plan your exercise program. View the completed exercise and compare it with your exercise goal. You can also record your exercise achievements in a log.
- If you have just purchased or have reset the Gear Fit, read the on-screen information about the application and tap OK.
Note: The connected mobile devices GPS feature is used to check information, such as altitude and speed, when you are cycling or hiking. Ensure that the Gear Fit and the mobile device are connected while using this feature.
In cold weather conditions:
- It is best to use the device indoors.
- Cover the Gear Fit with your sleeves before using it, if you use the device outside in cold weather.
- Measure your heart rate before you start to exercise. Heart rate measurements may be inaccurate If you measure your heart rate during exercise.
- If you have just purchased or have reset the Gear Fit, read the displayed information about the application and create your profile. When creating a profile, you can automatically or manually register your maximum heart rate.
- The maximum heart rate is the fastest heart rate an individual can achieve through exercise. If you know your maximum heart rate, enter it manually. If the device is set to register the heart rate automatically, the Gear Fit calculates it using 210 - 0.65 x age.
Monitoring exercise information
- Scroll left or right on the Home screen and tap Exercise.
- Select a type of exercise to monitor. Select Running, Walking, Cycling, or Hiking.
- Tap Start to start monitoring. You can view information, such as exercise time and distance on the screen. Scroll left on the screen to view more information, such as burned calories and speed.
- Tap the screen, and then tap Stop OK icon to stop monitoring your exercise information. Your exercise records display on the screen.
- Scroll up or down to view the records.
Using Additional Features
Scroll left on the exercise screen to use additional features.
Note: Only records from the past thirty days save. You can view previous data on the mobile device where the S Health application is installed.
Using the coaching feature while exercising in running mode
Use the personalized coaching feature to exercise safely and effectively. You will receive realtime coaching advice that leads you through a safe and effective workout that keeps you fit.
- Scroll left or right on the Home screen and tap Exercise > Running.
- Tap the exercise screen, and then tap Heart Rate.
- Select the method to set the maximum heart rate.
- Tap Coaching.
The Firstbeat Coaching feature is available during any aerobic exercise, such as cycling, jogging, or running. When you use the Gear Fit during your workouts, the coaching feature measures your heart rate through the optical heart rate sensor. It automatically adapts to your heart rate and provide feedback, such as a little faster, maintain speed, or slow down. Visit www.firstbeat.com for more information.
Setting training levels
- From the running screen, scroll left and set the maximum heart rate, and then tap Coaching.
- Tap Coaching and set the training level to set the exercise intensity. Follow the displayed instructions and complete the exercises. Stop exercising when you achieve the required intensity.
Use the training levels to check the intensity of your workout. Set the exercise intensity and monitor your exercise rate and the number of calories you have burned.
Exercise intensity is calculated based on your physical profile, heart rate measurement data, and the level of difficulty of the exercise. After completing exercise sessions for more than 3 days, the exercise intensity will change automatically based on your fitness level.
Use this application to measure and record your current heart rate.
- Scroll left or right on the Home screen and tap Heart Rate.
Note: Do not use the devices heart rate measurement feature for clinical or medical diagnosis. For a more accurate heart rate measurement, measure your heart rate when your body is not moving. Use the exercise feature to measure your heart rate during exercise.
For best results when measuring your heart rate:
- Before taking a measurement, keep your body warm and rest for 5 minutes.
- Do not move your body while taking the measurement.
- Refer to Wearing the Gear Fit Device for details.
Measuring heart rate
- Scroll left or right on the Home screen and tap Heart Rate.
- Tap Start to begin measuring your heart rate. The Heart Rate icon displays and blinks on the screen when heart rate measurement starts. The measurement will be taken by the device. Then, after a brief delay your current heart rate is displayed on the screen. Scroll left or right to view your previous heart rate records.
Viewing previous records
- Scroll left on the heart rate measurement screen.
- Tap History.
- Scroll left or right to view your previous heart rate records.
Note: You can save up to thirty records. You can view previous data on the mobile device where the S Health application is installed.