How To Use Google Talk On Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Learn how to use Google Talk on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. Talk is Googles instant messaging and audio and video chat service. You can use it to communicate, in real time, with other people who also use Google Talk on another Android tablet or phone or on a computer.
Note: Talk requires that you have a Google account. To set up your Google account on your device use Accounts and sync settings.
Open Talk and Sign In on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
- From a Home screen, touch Apps > Talk.
- If you are not signed in to a Google account, the Add a Google Account screen displays.
- Touch Existing, if you already have a Google account, or New to create a Google account.
Note: If you have already set up your Google account, you are automatically logged in. Just touch the account. Once sign in is complete, the Talk main screen displays.
Invite a Friend to Chat on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
You can invite anyone with a Google Account to become your friend in Google Talk, so you can chat with each other and view each others online status.
- While viewing your Friends list, touch Add friend.
- Enter your friends address and touch DONE. Your friends address in Talk is a Gmail or other email address that is configured to connect to Google Talk. If your friend accepts your invitation, they are added to your Friends list in Talk and you can share each others status in Talk and other applications.
View and Accept an Invitation to Become a Friend on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
When a contact invites you to become a friend in Google Talk, you receive a talk icon notification in the System Bar and the invitation displays in your Friends list.
- Touch the invitation.
- Touch Accept, if you want to accept the invitation and chat, Decline, if you do not want to chat with and share your Google Talk status with the sender right now, or Block, if you do not want to receive any more invitations from that person.
- If you touch Accept, the friend is added to your Friends list in Talk and you can share your status in Talk and other applications.
Talk Options on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
- There are several options that are available while viewing your Friends list and some that are only available while you are chatting.
- Touch Search lens icon to search your Talk messages or the current message for a word. Use the on-screen keyboard to enter a search term. Touch lens Search icon on the keyboard to search your Talk messages.
- Touch Add friend icon to invite another friend to chat, to invite a friend to video chat, or to invite a friend to voice chat.
- Touch a Friends entry to display the Chat entries for that Friend.
- Touch i Menu icon to display the following options, which are available while viewing your Friends list and some that are only available while you are chatting.
- Display options: To set the way your friends list is sorted, touch Availability, Name, or Recency.
- End all chats: End all chats in which you are engaged.
- Sign out: Sign out of Google Talk and display the Talk main screen.
- End chat: End this chat session.
- Go off the record/Stop chatting off the record: Set whether you want to stop saving your chat to the chat history.
- Friend info: Display information about the friend with which you are chatting. The following options are also displayed:
- BLOCK: Keeps this person from sending you messages and removes the person from your Friends list.
- REMOVE: Remove the friend as if you never accepted their invitation. However, the friend is not blocked.
- Note: If you touch the REMOVE option, touch Add friend > Send chat invitation to, to make the Friend visible again.
- Add to chat: Choose another friend to invite to this conversation.
- Clear chat history: Remove the history of this chat from your device.
- Settings: Offers various settings for Google talk. For more information, refer to Google Talk Settings below.
- Help: Displays additional help information.
- Send feedback: Fill out a Google feedback form.
How to customize Google Talk Settings on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Use Google Talk Settings to configure your Talk account. If you have more than one account, each maintains its own Talk settings.
- From a Home screen, touch Apps > Talk.
- Touch Menu > Settings, then touch an account for options:
- Mobile indicator: Check and your friends see an outline of an android next to your name in their Friends list when you are signed into Google Talk on a tablet or phone.
- Away when screen off: Check to change your Talk status to Away when your screen turns off. When unchecked, your status is not changed.
- Invitation notifications: Show notification when a friend invitation arrives.
- IM notifications: Set whether to open a dialog, display a notification in the System Bar, or neither, when you receive a text chat.
- Notification ringtone: Set a ringtone to sound, or silent, when you receive a text chat.
VOICE & VIDEO CHAT
- Video chat notifications: Set whether to open a dialog or display a notification in the System Bar when you are invited to a video chat.
- Video chat ringtone: Set a ringtone to sound, or silent, when you receive an invitation to a video chat.
- Default video effect: Set the video image stabilization.
- Blocked friends: Displays a list of friends you have blocked. Touch a blocked friend and then touch OK to unblock the friend.
- Clear search history: Erases your search history. No previous searches are shown until you search for new words.
- Manage account: Opens the Accounts and sync settings.
This article will work on both Samsung Galaxy Tabs; including Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.