How To Use Mail On iPhone 6
Learn how to use mail on your iPhone 6. Mail lets you access all of your email accounts, on the go.
How To write messages.
Mail lets you access all of your email accounts, on the go.
- Insert a photo or video. Tap the insertion point. Tap the arrows to see more choices. Also see How To Edit Text.
- Quote some text when you reply. Tap the insertion point, then select the text you want to include. Tap Replay icon. You can turn off the indentation of the quoted text in Setting > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Increase Quote Level.
- Send a message from a different account. Tap the form field to choose an account.
- Change a recipient from Cc to Bcc. After you enter reciprents, you can drag them from one field to another or change their order.
- Mark addresses outside certain domains. When youre addressing a message to a recipient thats not in your organizations domain, Mail can color the recipients name red to alert you. Go to Setting > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Mark Addresses, then define the domains that you don't want marked. You can enter multiple domains separated by commas, such as "apple,com".
Get a sneak peek
- See a longer preview. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Preview. You can show up to five lines.
- Is this message for me? Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, then turn on Show To/Cc Label. If the label says Cc instead of To, you were just copied. You can also use the To/Cc mailbox, which gathers all mail addressed to you. To show or hide it, swipe to the right (or tap Mailboxes), then tap Edit.
Finish a message later
- Look at another message while youre writing one. Swipe down on the title bar of a message youre writing. When youre ready to return to your message, tap its title at the bottom of the screen. If you have more than one message waiting to be finished, tap the bottom of the screen to see them all.
- Save a draft for later. If you're writing a message and want to finish it later, tap Cancel, then tap Sace Draft. To get it back, touch and hold compose.
See important messages
- Get notified of replies to a message or thread. Tap Flag icon, then tap Notify Me. While you're writhing a messages, you can also tap Notification icon in the Subject field. To change how notification appear, go to Settings > Notification > Mail > thread notification.
- Gather important messages. Add important people to your VIP list, so all their messages appear in the VIP mailbox. Tap the senders name in a message, then tap Add to VIP. To change how notification appear, go to Settings > Notification > Mail > VIP.
- Flag a message so you can find it later. Tap Flag icon while reading the message. To Change the appearance of the flagged message indicator, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Flag Style. To see the Flagged mailbox, tap Edit while viewing the mailbox list, then tap Flagged.
- Search for a message. Scroll to or tap the top of the message list to reveal the search field Search looks at the address fields, the subject, and the message body. To Search multiple accounts at once, search from a smart mailbox, such as All Sent.
- Search by timeframe. Scroll to or tap the top of the message list to reveal the search field. then type something like February meeting to find all messages from February with the word meeting.
- Search by message state. To find all flagged, unread messages from people in your VIP list, type "flag unread VIP". You can also search for other message attributes, such as "attachment".
- Junk be gone! Tap Flag icon while you're reading a messages, then tap Move to Junk, shake iPhone immediately to undo.
- Make a favorite mailbox. Favorites appear at the top of the Mailboxes list. To add one, tap Edit while viewing the Mailboxes list. Tap Add Mailboxes, then select the mailboxes to add. You will also get push notification for your favorite Mailboxes.
- Show draft messages from all of your accounts. While viewing the Mailboxes list, tap Edit, tap Add Mailbox, then turn on the All Drafts mailbox.
- Save a photo or video to Photos. Touch and hold the photo or video until a menu appears, then tap Save Image.
- Open an attachment with another Apps. Touch and hold the attachment until a menu appears, then tap the app you want to use to open the attachment. Some attachments automatically show a banner with buttons you can use to open other apps.
- See messages with attachments. The Attachments mailbox shows messages with attachments from all accounts. To add it, tap Edit while viewing the Mailboxes list.
Work with multiple messages
- Delete, move, or mark multiple messages. While viewing a list of messages, tap Edit. Select some messages, then choose an action. If you make a mistake, shake iPhone immediately to undo.
- Manage a message with a swipe. While viewing a list of messages, swipe a message to the left to reveal a menu of actions. Swipe all the way to the left to select the first action. You can also swipe a message to the right to reveal another action. Choose the actions you want to appear in the menu at Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Swipe Options.
- Organize your mail with mailboxes. Tap Edit in the Mailboxes list to create a new one, or to rename or delete one. (Some built-in mailboxes cant be changed.) There are several smart mailboxes, such as Unread, that show messages from all your accounts. Tap the ones you want to use.
- Recover a deleted message. Go to the accounts Trash mailbox, open the message, then tap and move the message. Or, if you just deleted it, shake iPhone to undo. To see deleted messages across all your accounts, add the Trash mailbox. To add it, tap Edit in the Mailboxes list and select it from the list.
- Archive instead of delete. Instead of deleting messages, you can archive them so theyre still around if you need them. Select Archive Mailbox in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > account name > Account > Advanced. To delete a message instead of archiving it, touch and hold, then tap Delete.
See and save addresses
- Add someone to Contacts or make them a VIP. Tap the persons name or email address, then tap Add to VIP. You can also add their address to a new or existing contact.
- See who received a message. While viewing the message, tap more in the To Field.
- Print a message. Tap Back icon, then tap Print.
- Print an attachment or picture. Tap to view it, then tap and choose Print. See How To Use AirPrint.
- Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, where you can:
- Create a different mail signature for each account
- Add mail accounts
- Set our of office replies for Exchange mail accounts
- Bcc yourself on every message you send
- Turn on Organize by Thread to group related messages together
- Turn off confirmation for deleting a message
- Turn off push delivery of new messages, to save on battery power
- Temporarily turn off an account