How To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop - Samsung Galaxy S3
You can install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Samsung Galaxy S3 (model number GT-I9300). Samsung has already ceased further Android development updates for its former flagship phone as the company's lifetime support has ended for the product, following the completion of 18-month support policy.
Advantages of installing the new Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Galaxy S3 are listed below:
- Supports Android 5.0 Lollipop, CyanogenMod 10.2, CyanogenMod 11.0,
- OmniROM, SlimKat, Samsung stock-based ROM 4.3, Back-to-n00t based
- Android 4.4.4 ROM
- Upgraded to the latest Android
- Speed improvements
- Battery improvements
- New CPU Governors
- New I/O Schedulers
- CPU undervolt capability
- CPU overclock capability
- Color inverting by quadriple tapping on home button
- Proper dual-boot functionality
The custom Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM still seems half-baked as a bunch of inherent bugs and broken features are yet to be patched. The list of bugs are:
- Internal & External Storage
- Graphics including color calibration and hw composer
- Screen off (the device cannot enter deep sleep)
Prime Inspiration reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
Do not forget that flashing your device and any other similar customizations thereof can sometimes have averse repercussions. Also, these processes are not for the faint-hearted since none of these are full-proof. Please do not expect normal functionality from your device under any circumstance.
Required files to download
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S3 with model number I9300 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod(CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer.
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
- Download zip file from here: Android 5.0 Lollipop for Galaxy S3 (BasketBuild)
- Arter97 Kernel for Galaxy S3 (Use Version 4.0-beta1+)
- CWM recovery 184.108.40.206 or Philz Touch Recovery
Installation Of Android 5.0 Lollipop On Galaxy S3
- The ROM comes in a nandroid backup format, hence to install it, you need to just restore the backup after putting it on your SD card backup folder.
- Extract the downloaded ZIP file and copy the ROM back-up file on '/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup'
- Now boot up your phone in recovery mode.
- Next, perform a full data wipe (except if you're running previous versions of this ROM)
- You now have to Restore the nandroid backup which you copied
- Finally flash the downloaded kernel
- Your device is now running Android 5.0 Lollipop. Enjoy!!!