How To Use iBooks On iPad Mini
iBooks is a great way to read and buy books on iPad Mini. Download the free iBooks app from the App Store, and then enjoy everything from classics to bestsellers.
iBooks is a great way to enjoy books and PDFs. Download the free iBooks app from the App Store, and then get everything from classics to bestsellers from the built-in iBookstore. To download the iBooks app and use the iBookstore, you need an Internet connection and an Apple ID.
- Visit the iBookstore: In iBooks, tap Store to:
- Find books by browsing or searching
- Get a sample of a book to see if you like it
- Read and write reviews, and see current bestsellers
- Tell a friend about a book via email
- Purchase a book: Find one you want, tap the price, and then tap again to get it.
- Get information about a book: You can read a summary of the book, read reviews, and try a sample of the book before buying it. After buying a book, you can write a review of your own.
- Download a previous purchase: Tap Purchased. To download while browsing, tap Download where you usually see the price. You wont be charged again. To automatically download items purchased on other devices, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store.
How to read books on iPad
Reading a book is easy. Go to the bookshelf and tap the book you want to read. Each book has a particular set of features, based on its contents and format. Some of the features described below might not be available in the book youre reading.
- Open a book: Tap the book you want to read. If you dont see it on the shelf, swipe left or right to see other collections.
- Show the controls: Tap near the center of the page.
- Enlarge an image: Double-tap the image. In some books, touch and hold to display a magnifying glass you can use to view an image.
- Go to a specific page: Use the page navigation controls at the bottom of the screen. Or, tap Search lens icon and enter a page number, then tap the page number in the search results.
- Look up a word: Double-tap a word, use the grab points to adjust the selection, then tap Define in the menu that appears. Definitions are not available for all languages.
- View the table of contents: Tap Table icon. With some books, you can also pinch to see the table of contents.
- Add or remove a bookmark: Tap Bookmark icon. Tap again to remove the bookmark. You dont need to add a bookmark when you close the book, because iBooks remembers where you left off. You can have multiple bookmarksto see them all, tap lists icon, then tap Bookmarks.
- Annotate a book: You can add notes and highlights to a book.
- Add a highlight: Double-tap a word, use the grab points to adjust the selection, then tap Highlight and choose a color or underline.
- Remove a highlight: Tap the highlighted text, then tap remove icon.
- Add a note: Double-tap a word, tap Highlight, then choose from the menu that appears.
- Remove a note: Delete its text. To remove the note and its highlight, tap the highlighted text, then tap remove icon.
- See all your notes: Tap lists icon, then tap Notes. Tap to print or email your notes.
- Change a books appearance: Some books let you change the type size, font, and page color.
- Change the font or type size: Tap near the center of a page to display the controls, and then tap AA. Tap Fonts to select a typeface. Some books allow you to change the type size only when iPad is in portrait orientation.
- Change the color of the page and text: Tap near the center of the page to display the controls, tap AA, and then tap Theme. This setting applies to all books that support it.
- Change the brightness: Tap near the center of a page to display the controls, then tap Brightness icon. If you dont see Brigtness icon, tap AA first.
- Turn justification and hyphenation on or off: Go to Settings > iBooks. PDFs and some books cant be justified or hyphenated.
Interacting with multimedia
Some books have interactive elements, such as movies, diagrams, presentations, galleries, 3D objects, and chapter reviews. To interact with a multimedia object, tap, swipe, or pinch it. For example, with a presentation, you can tap to start it, and then tap Play icon to see each screen. To view an element full-screen, pinch two fingers apart. When you finish, pinch to close it.
Studying notes and vocabulary lists
In books that support it, you can use notes view to review all of your highlights and notes as cards.
- View your notes: Tap Note icon. You can also:
- View notes by chapter: Tap a chapter to see its notes. Badges in the chapter list indicate the number of notes and highlights youve added to each chapter. If you dont see the chapter list, tap the Chapter button.
- Search all notes: Enter a word or phrase in the search field. If you dont see the search field, tap the Chapters button. Tap a chapter to see its notes.
- Review notes and vocabulary as study cards: Tap Study Cards. Swipe to move between cards. If a card has notes, indicated by reload arrows icon, tap the card to turn it over. Tap Settings icon to select which highlights are displayed, or to shuffle the cards. If the chapter includes a vocabulary list, you can also include it in your cards.
- Email your notes: Tap right curved arrow Share icon. Select the notes that you want to share, and then tap Email.
- Delete notes: Tap right curved arrow Share icon. Select the notes that you want to delete, and then tap Delete.
Note: This article will work on all iPads using iOS 6; including iPad Mini, iPad 2, The New iPad (iPad 3), iPad 4 (iPad with Retina display).