Buy RAM For Mac Mini
To buy Random Access Memory (RAM) for your Mac Mini, you must first determine the maximum capacity of memory your Mac Mini can support and the type of RAM, or memory modules, that are compatible with the model of your Mac Mini. RAM for your Mac Mini can be purchased from multiple venues; such as retail stores that sell Apple products, major retail websites, or from online vendors who specialize in selling RAM and computer hardware. Follow the simple steps below
Mac Minis From 2011
Buy memory modules no larger in size than 8 gigabytes (GB). The maximum amount of memory you can install in a mid-2011 model Mac Mini is 8 GB.
- Since there are 2 memory slots in the mid-2011 model of the Mac Mini, you can buy 2 separate memory modules, as long as the total memory does not exceed 8 GB.
Verify that you buy memory modules with the proper specifications. In order for the RAM to work efficiently in your Mac Mini, it must have the following features: non-parity, unbuffered, 1333 megahertz (MHz), PC3-10600 DDR3, and 204-pin module.
Mac Minis From 2010 And 2009
Buy memory modules with the proper amount of GB. The 2010 Mac Mini supports a total of 8 GB in memory, or RAM; whereas the 2009 Mac Mini models can only support a total of 4 GB in RAM.
- Only 2 memory slots are built into these Mac Minis; therefore, you can purchase 2 separate memory modules that do not exceed the maximum capacity of supported GB for each model.
Buy memory modules with the appropriate features. You must purchase RAM with specific features that are compatible with the 2010 and 2009 Mac Minis.
- Buy memory modules with features that are unbuffered, non-parity, 1066 MHz, PC3-8500 DDR3, and have 204-pin modules.
Mac Minis From 2007 And 2006
Purchase memory modules with no more than 2 GB of memory. You may install 1 memory module that is 2 GB in size, or 2 memory modules that contain 1 GB of memory on each module.
- Purchase memory modules that meet the requirements for your Mac Mini. You can only install RAM with 200-pin modules, 667 MHz, compliant with PC2-5300 and DDR2, and are non-parity and unbuffered.
Purchase RAM for your Mac Mini on the Internet. Shopping for RAM online may provide you with a variety of options in terms of pricing, return policies, or warranties.
- Enter search criteria into any Internet search engine, such as "RAM Mac Mini" or "buy RAM for 2010 Mac Mini." The search results will provide you with numerous websites or retailers that sell RAM compatible with the Mac Mini.
- Visit the websites of major retailers such as Walmart or Amazon. You may receive discounts on your entire purchase or discounts for shipping and handling from sites such as these.
- You may buy RAM from auction websites such as eBay; however, you may want to review the feedback and ratings for each specific seller to avoid purchasing RAM that is falsely advertised, faulty, or incompatible with your Mac Mini.
Buy RAM from a retail store in your local area. The benefit to buying RAM from a nearby retail store is that you can take it home and install the RAM immediately into your Mac Mini.
- Visit retail stores that specialize in electronics, computers, or Apple products; such as Best Buy or Comp USA.
If you are buying RAM in the form of 2 memory modules, Apple recommends buying 2 memory modules of identical memory capacity to result in the best performance on your Mac Mini. For example, if you want to buy 2 memory modules for a total of 4 GB in memory, purchase 2 memory modules with memory capacities of 2 GB each.
Do not buy memory modules with features that are not compatible with any version of Mac Mini; such as modules with buffers or registers, parity, error correcting code (ECC), phase locked loops (PLLs), or extended data output (EDO).