How To Use Messages - Samsung Galaxy S5
Learn how to use Messages on your Samsung Galaxy S5. Your default Messaging app provides the following message types.
Types of Messages
Your default Messaging app provides the following message types:
- Text Messages
- Multimedia (Picture, Video, and Audio) Messages
The Short Message Service (SMS) lets you send and receive text messages to and from other mobile phones or email addresses. To use this feature, you may need to subscribe to your service providers message service.
The Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) lets you send and receive multimedia messages (such as picture, video, and audio messages) to and from other mobile phones or email addresses. To use this feature, you may need to subscribe to your service providers multimedia message service.
When creating a message, adding an image, a sound file, or a video clip to a text message changes the message from a text message to a multimedia message. Messaging icons are displayed at the top of the screen and indicate when messages are received and their type.
Creating and Sending Messages
This section describes how to create a send a message using the Messaging app.
- From the main Home screen, tap Messaging icon > Compose icon.
Note: The main Home screen initially contains the Messaging icon. If you delete it, or if you want to access Messaging from another Home screen, you must tap Apps icon > Messaging icon.
- Tap on the Enter recipient field to manually enter a recipient or tap Contacts icon to select a recipient from your Contacts. You can also select the recipient based on Groups, Favorites, or Logs.
- If adding a recipient from your Contacts, tap the contact to place a checkmark then tap Done. The contact will be placed in the recipient field.
Note: For the Group option, if the number of recipients is less than 10, all members in the group will be added. You will need to delete any unnecessary members in the list by selecting the trash can icon and deleting unwanted entries.
Note: Enter additional recipients by separating each entry with a semicolon (;) then using the previous procedure.
- Tap the Enter message field and use the on-screen keypad to enter a message. For more information, refer to Enter Text.
- Add more recipients by tapping the recipient field.
- Tap Add emoticons icon to choose an available emoticon from an on-screen list and then add it into your message (at the cursor location) if desired.
- Review your message and tap Send icon.
Note: If you exit a message before you send it, it will be automatically saved as a draft