How To Encrypt Your Nexus 7
You can encrypt all the data on your tablet: Google Accounts, app data, music and other media, downloaded information, and so on. If you do, you must enter a numeric PIN or password each time you turn on your tablet. Note that this is the same PIN or password that you use to unlock your tablet without encryption, and cannot be set independently.
Warning: Encryption is irreversible. The only way to revert to an unencrypted tablet is to perform a factory data reset, which erases all your data. Encryption provides additional protection in case your tablet is stolen, and may be required or recommended in some organizations. Consult your system administrator before turning it on. In many cases the PIN or password you set for encryption is controlled by the system administrator.
Before turning on encryption, prepare as follows:
- Set a lock screen PIN or password.
- Charge the battery.
- Plug in your tablet.
- Schedule an hour or more for the encryption process: you must not interrupt it or you will lose some or all of your data.
How to encrypt Nexus 7
When youre ready to turn on encryption:
- Touch Settings > Personal > Security > Encryption > Encrypt tablet.
- Read the information about encryption carefully.
- The Encrypt tablet button is dimmed if your batterys not charged or your tablets not plugged in. If you change your mind about encrypting your tablet, touch the Back button.
- Warning: If you interrupt the encryption process, you will lose data.
- Touch Encrypt tablet.
- Enter your lock screen PIN or password and touch Continue.
- Touch Encrypt tablet again.
- The encryption process starts and displays its progress. Encryption can take an hour or more, during which time your tablet may restart several times. When encryption is complete, youre prompted to enter your PIN or password.
- Subsequently, you must enter your PIN or password each time you power on your tablet, to decrypt it.