Learn how to use the message settings on your Samsung Galaxy S4. To configure the settings for text messages, multimedia messages, Voice mails, and Push messages.
- From the main Home screen, tap Messaging > Menu key > Settings.
The following Messaging settings are available:
- Delete old messages: deletes old messages when the limit is reached, rather than having them overwritten.
- Text message limit: allows you to set a limit on how many text messages can be in one conversation.
- Multimedia message limit: allows you to set a limit on how many multimedia messages can be in one conversation.
- Text templates: allows you to edit or add new text templates to use in your messaging.
Text message (SMS) settings:
- Manage SIM card messages: allows you to manage the messages that you have stored on your SIM card.
- Message center: allows you to enter the number of your Message center where your messages reside while the system is attempting to deliver them.
- Input mode: allows you to set the input mode for your text messages. Choose between GSM Alphabet, Unicode, or Automatic.
Multimedia message (MMS) settings:
- Group messaging: allows you to send a single message to multiple recipients.
- Auto-retrieve: allows the message system to retrieve messages automatically.
- Creation mode: allows you to select the creation mode, Free, Restricted, or Warning.
- Restricted: you can only create and submit messages with content belonging to the Core MM Content Domain.
- Warning: the phone will warn you via pop up messages that you are creating a multimedia message which does not fit the Core MM Content Domain.
- Free: you may add any content to the message.
- MMS alert: allows you to receive an alert when MMS mode becomes active.
- Bubble style: allows you to choose from several bubble styles for your messages. Bubbles are the rounded boxes that surround each message.
- Background style: allows you to choose from several background styles for your messages.
- Use the volume key: allows you to change the text size by using the up or down volume keys.
Push message settings:
- Push messages: allows you to receive push messages from the network.
Cell Broadcast (CB) settings:
- CB activation: allows you to receive Cell Broadcast (CB) messages.
- Channel configuration: allows you to set up the channel that you will receive CB messages on.
- Notifications: allows you to see message notifications on your status bar.
- Select ringtone: allows you to set the ringtone for your message notifications.
- Vibrate: allows you to configure the vibration mode associated with message alerts.
- Message alert repetition: allows you to set the interval for new message alerts. Choose from: Once, Every 2 minutes, or Every 10 minutes.
- Preview message: when enabled, allows you to view a preview of new message text on the Status bar.
Emergency message settings:
- Emergency alerts: allows you to receive wireless emergency alerts from the Commercial Mobile Alerting System (CMAS).
- Emergency notification review: allows you to play the emergency alert tone so you will know what to expect when an alert is received.
- Alert reminder: allows you to set reminders after you receive an alert. You can select Once, Every 2 minutes, Every 15 minutes, or Off (default).
- Add signature: when enabled, this feature allows you to create a signature at the end of your outgoing text messages.
- Signature text: allows you to enter a desired signature for your message.
- Spam message settings:
- Spam settings: when enabled, allows you to configure available spam settings such as:
- Add to spam numbers: allows you to manually enter and assign a phone number as being sent from a spam source.
- Add to spam phrases: allows you to assign a specific text phrase as belonging to a spam message. Ex: Dear friend.
- Block unknown senders: when active, automatically blocks incoming messages from unknown sources or blocked numbers.