Learn how to Setup on Sony Xperia Z1. The first time you start your device, a setup guide opens to help you configure basic settings, sign in to some accounts, and personalise your device. For example, if you have a Sony Entertainment Network account, you can sign in to it here and get set up straight away. And you can download Internet and Wi-Fi® settings.
Note: You can also access the setup guide later from the Settings menu.
To turn on the device
Note: Make sure that the battery is charged for at least 30 minutes before you turn on the device for the first time.
- Press and hold down the power key until the device vibrates.
- If your screen goes dark, briefly press the power key to activate the screen.
- Enter your SIM card PIN when requested, then tap Enter Key icon .
- If your screen is locked, place a finger on the screen and swipe up or down to unlock it.
- Wait a while for the device to start.
Note: Your SIM card PIN is initially supplied by your network operator, but you can change it later from the Settings menu. To correct a mistake made while entering your SIM card PIN, tap x icon .
To turn off the device
- Press and hold down the power key until the options menu opens.
- In the options menu, tap Power off.
- Tap OK.
Note: It may take a while for the device to shut down.
Why do I need a Google™ account?
Your Xperia™ device from Sony runs on the Android™ platform developed by Google™. A range of Google™ applications and services are available on your device when you purchase it, for example, Gmail™, Google Maps™, YouTube™ and Google Play™, the online store for downloading Android™ applications. To get the most out of these services, you need a Google™ account. For example, a Google™ account is mandatory if you want to:
- Download and install applications from Google Play™.
- Synchronise email, contacts and the calendar.
- Chat with friends using the Hangouts™ application.
- Synchronise your browsing history and bookmarks.
For more information about Android™ and Google™, go to www.sonymobile.com/support.
To set up a Google™ account on your device
- From your Home screen, tap Apps icon .
- Find and tap Settings > Add account > Google.
- Follow the registration wizard to create a Google™ account, or sign in if you already have an account.
Note: You can also sign in to or create a Google™ account from the setup guide the first time you start your device. Or you can go online and create an account at www.google.com/accounts.