Learn how to use Voice Memos on your iPhone 5. Voice Memos lets you use iPhone as a portable recording device using the built-in microphone, iPhone or Bluetooth headset mic, or supported external microphone.
- Make a recording: Tap Record icon or press the center button on your headset. Tap Pause icon to pause or Stop icon to stop recording, or press the center button on your headset.
Recordings using the built-in microphone are mono, but you can record stereo using an external stereo microphone that works with the iPhone headset jack, or with the Lightning connector (iPhone 5) or Dock connector (earlier iPhone models). Look for accessories marked with the Apple “Made for iPhone” or “Works with iPhone” logo.
- Adjust the recording level: Move the microphone closer to or further away from what you’re recording. For better recording quality, the loudest level on the level meter should be between –3 dB and 0 dB.
- Play or mute the start/stop tone: Use the iPhone volume buttons to turn the volume all the way down.
- Use another app while recording: Press the Home button and open an app. To return to Voice Memos, tap the red bar at the top of the screen.
- Play a recording: Tap List icon, tap a recording, then tap Play icon. Tap Pause icon to pause.
- Trim a recording: Tap blue color > icon next to the recording, then tap Trim Memo. Drag the edges of the audio region, and then tap Play icon to preview. Adjust if necessary, and then tap Trim Voice Memo to save. The portions you trim can’t be recovered.
Sharing voice memos with your computer on iPhone 5
iTunes can sync voice memos with your iTunes library when you connect iPhone to your computer.
When you sync voice memos to iTunes, they remain in the Voice Memos app until you delete them. If you delete a voice memo on iPhone, it isn’t deleted from the Voice Memos playlist in iTunes. However, if you delete a voice memo from iTunes, it is deleted from iPhone the next time you sync with iTunes.
- Sync voice memos with iTunes: Connect iPhone to your computer and select iPhone in the iTunes device list. Select Music at the top of the screen (between Apps and Movies), select Sync Music, select “Include voice memos,” and click Apply.
- The voice memos from iPhone appear in the Voice Memos playlist in iTunes.
This article will work on all iPhones using iOS 6; including iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5.